Who does an “Accessibility Compliant Website” help?

In the past several weeks, we have discussed why ADA Accessibility Website is essential. We have created several posts and offer a complimentary website accessibility audit. This past week, we have received several calls or comments about who is affected when your organization’s website is not in ADA Complaint.  Before we mentioned, who is affected or not affected, the law is clear, and if your website is not in ADA Complaint.  Your organization can be fined.

*Blindness or visual impairment – Individuals, who have any type of visual impairment could benefit from an accessibility-compliant website. This is the one trait, that most people understand.

*Deafness or hearing loss – Individuals, who have any type of hearing loss could benefit from an accessibility-compliant website. Did you know that YouTube is the number two most used search engine, slightly behind Google?  If your organization’s website has video or audio features, then someone with hearing loss will not be able to hear or understand that feature.

*Motor challenges range from loss of a limb to quadriplegic to tremors and arthritis, which typically occur as we age. There are many internet users, who rely on adaptive devices to surf the internet.  These individuals need websites that are easy to navigate and go from section to section.

*Cognitive disabilities, which could be born with or due to a traumatic brain injury.  Development delays injuries, which come in many fashions.  Many of these individuals are placed in this community as a result of an accident, typically it is an auto accident.

*Epilepsy – According to Wikipedia, Epilepsy is a group of non-communicable neurological disorders characterized by recurrent epileptic seizures.  An epileptic seizure is the clinical manifestation of an abnormal, excessive, purposeless, and synchronized electrical discharge in the brain cells called neurons.  The occurrence of two or more unprovoked seizures defines epilepsy  The occurrence of just one seizure may warrant the definition (set out by the International League Against Epilepsy) in a more clinical usage where recurrence may be able to be prejudged.  Epileptic seizures can vary from brief and nearly undetectable periods to long periods of vigorous shaking due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain.  These episodes can result in physical injuries, either directly such as broken bones, or through causing accidents.  In epilepsy, seizures tend to recur and may have no immediate underlying cause.  Isolated seizures that are provoked by a specific cause such as poisoning are not deemed to represent epilepsy.  People with epilepsy may be treated differently in various areas of the world and experience varying degrees of social stigma due to the alarming nature of their symptoms.

The underlying mechanism of an epileptic seizure is an excessive and abnormal neuronal activity in the cortex of the brain which can be observed in the electroencephalogram (EEG) of an individual. The reason this occurs in most cases of epilepsy is unknown (cryptogenic);  some cases occur as the result of brain injury, stroke, brain tumors, infections of the brain, or birth defects through a process known as epileptogenesis.  Known genetic mutations are directly linked to a small proportion of cases.  The diagnosis involves ruling out other conditions that might cause similar symptoms, such as fainting, and determining if another cause of seizures is present, such as alcohol withdrawal or electrolyte problems.  This may be partly done by imaging the brain and performing blood tests.  Epilepsy can often be confirmed with an EEG, but a normal test does not rule out the condition.

Epilepsy that occurs as a result of other issues may be preventable.  Seizures are controllable with medication in about 69% of cases;  inexpensive anti-seizure medications are often available. Those whose seizures do not respond to medication; surgery, neurostimulation, or dietary changes may then be considered.  Not all cases of epilepsy are lifelong, and many people improve to the point that treatment is no longer needed.

As of 2020, about 50 million people have epilepsy.  Nearly 80% of cases occur in the developing world.  In 2015, it resulted in 125,000 deaths, an increase from 112,000 in 1990.  Epilepsy is more common in older people.  In the developed world, the onset of new cases occurs most frequently in babies and the elderly.   In the developing world, onset is more common at the extremes of age – in younger children and in older children and young adults due to differences in the frequency of the underlying causes.  About 5–10% of people will have an unprovoked seizure by the age of 80,  with the chance of experiencing a second seizure rising to between 40% and 50%.  In many areas of the world, those with epilepsy either have restrictions placed on their ability to drive or are not permitted to drive until they are free of seizures for a specific length of time.   The word epilepsy is from the Ancient Greek ἐπιλαμβάνειν, “to seize, possess, or afflict”.

*Motion sickness – individuals who have any form of motion sickness will need a device that will disable all video and slider galleries on your organization’s website.

*Reading difficulties, such as Dyslexia.  While we have known about Dyslexia for some time, there are some people who see letters and words in a different order.

So as you can tell, ADA Compliant Websites help many folks.


If you are looking to see if your website is ADA Complaint, then feel free to contact us at info@jdswebdesign.biz or 678-718-5489.

Image courtesy of Sharon Waldon



JDS WebDesign is a Web Design and Brand Marketing Agency located in Marietta, Georgia.  We create AWESOME on line presence for Start-ups and Influential People/Organizations.  To learn more about us or how we can help you and your organization, you can contact us or schedule a meeting.

Join our mailing list to keep up with JDS WebDesign and find get tutorials and information about how to improve your website or business.

Get Your Mobile Application TODAY!!!

Unlock your next state of growth.  Mobile applications that change minds & deliver more!!!



Would you like to speed up your website in 15 minutes?

We can show you how to improve your website speed within 15 minutes with a few free plugins.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Subscribe To Our Blog

Subscribe To Our Blog

Join our mailing list to receive the latest blog post around noon every day. We do blog just about every day.

You have Successfully Subscribed!